Wednesday 7 December 2022

Mon Guerlain Intense by Guerlain



High Expectations chapter two:
You see, anything that Anne Lauren recommends, I have to try. This amazing girl could sell sand in the desert! When she spoke of Mon Guerlain Intense, I had to get my hands on a sample.

Come to the rescue, Laura! She was so sweet and made me a sample, in exchange I sent her Taj by Yas (and I really hope she likes it!). My expectations for Mon Guerlain Intense were high, but after doing a little swatch on the back off my hand, I did an "and I oop". Yikes, am I about to disagree with Anne for the first time?

Mon Guerlain Intense gives, from the get go, an old and outdated fragrance DNA to me, I'm so sorry, but it made me think of my aunt who is in her seventies.  Think good ol' Tresór by Lancome vibes. How can this be from 2019? Mon Guerlain Intense is without a doubt an aromatic, it is powdery, I get a clean lavender note that isn't like that of an essential oil, but a lavender field. The liquorice it quite prominent too. I despise the taste even though I was born and raised in a country that eats liquorice like their life depended on it. Safe to say, I am not too keen on the note in this fragrance too. On paper, I do not get any vanilla. The scent is purely an aromatic fragrance of lavender, liquorice, benzoin and just the slightest hint of some florals. At least, the outdatedness has disappeared. After dry down, the scent reminds me of Libre eau de toilette.

On skin, the fragrance has the same older DNA that it had on paper. I think it's the liquorice. It is somewhat sweeter on skin, but it isn't from the vanilla, it smells more of bubblegum. I had to revisit Anne's video to find the words to describe it. In my own words, it is a sweet, aromatic fragrance that by no means is a woody fragrance (according to Fragrantica, it is an Amber Wood). I have to agree with Anne, it is "sweet, creamy and flirty", but I don't get the white chocolate creaminess or even any creaminess from sandalwood, unfortunately.

Laura recommended to do a full day wear testing and I always do that before reviewing, but I really hope Mon Guerlain Intense surprises me. Right now, it's a loud 'no' from me.

Alright, so how did it go? First of, the scent was strong and I had a slight headache for many hours. Something about Mon Guerlain Intense is still very mature to me, not really endearing or my taste. Some (better) notes have appeared, but not enough to make me like it. After hours of wear, the scent had calmed down, but it hasn't changed my mind. It is very likeable, I think, but it is not My Guerlain.

Hours later, when I was getting ready for sleep, water came down my wrists while washing my face and only then did the vanilla appear and was actually pleasant. I got whiffs of it going to sleep and thought "I wish this was Mon Guerlain, but from first spray, not 12 hours after spraying...". 






Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig