Monday 5 December 2022

Gris Charnel by BDK Parfums



High Expectations chapter one: 
Alright, Gris Charnel has been the main character in my feed along with Rouge Smoking for a while. The way you guys have been describing it, I just HAD to try it and from the first spray, I am hooked!

I get a lovely tea note that is comforting, but also fresh. There is some sweetness that doesn't make this a sweet scent, but creamy-sweet, a mix of tonka and light fig. There is a wonderful amount of vetiver (bourbon) that grounds the fragrance and I have to say that Gris Charnel reminds me of something. A fragrance I have tried before, but I am very unsure from which house or which fragrance. After dry down, the sandalwood makes the scent even more creamy, it is elegant, elevated, just delicious! 

Still on paper, I don't get any cardamom at all, maybe my take on cardamom is like that of Sweetly Known. THAT is a cardamom done right and strong!
I wouldn't call this fragrance woody, spicy or aromatic, which is the first three main accords according to Fragrantica. I would describe Gris Charnel as smooth and creamy, but not lactonic, and now when I come to think of it, it reminds me of a Commodity fragrance. Or even Santal Austral from Matiere Premiere.
On paper, the fresh tea and grounding vetiver has completely gone. This is just on paper, so let's give this a go on my skin.

On skin, I get a slight spiciness from cardamom, but not the sensual kind like that of Sweetly Known, instead it is more rough, sour. The tea note isn't present like it was on paper. Gris Charnel is not the smooth fragrance I got from paper, it is more masculine and wild. 

After dry down, the cardamom is faintly there and the roughness has gone too. The scent remains dark, but has become creamy. It is very different on paper than on my skin. It still has some Santal Austral vibe to it, but not as light an airy; it is an Autumn, gloomy version of it. 

Do I like it? Yes, but do I love it? No, I think I might forget all about it before long... I will give this one a couple of goes, because it has gained so much notoriety and I really want to know what all the fuss is about.

I added a couple of sprays, and this time around, the cardamom isn't sour, but more candy like. Riddle me that! Much more endearing.
The upcoming three reviews, including this one, are fragrances that I've had really high expectations for, so buckle up!






Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig