Wednesday 30 November 2022

Vanilla Royale Sugared Patchouli | 64 by Kayali Fragrances



From first sniff, I am a big question mark. I have absolutely no idea whether or not I like this fragrance.
Close to skin, Royale has a smoky or rather burnt note that I've experienced so many times before. And I've grown to love it in fragrances like Blackmail and in BeauFort London fragrances. Vanilla Royale changes a lot, however, and what started off as a burnt match note has become sweeter and more of a smoky patchouli. There is something very harsh about this fragrance that isn't just dominating and making a statement, but misplaced and unpleasant. Royale has so many notes that I feel like they are all battling each other rather than complimenting each others presence.
Though the name of the fragrance is called something Royale, there's something cheap about it and it just doesn't scream quality or regalness. It's like a child in its mother's clothing - trying to be something that it's not.

I tried this fragrance in reverse, on skin first. Now on paper, a week later, I am just as confused. VRSP is sugary sweet for sure, too sweet for my liking. There is something fruity about it, like cheap children's candy. I am honestly baffled that so many people like this. I definitely get rum, like dried plum in liquor, but all the other notes I love aren't there. Or maybe they all are, at the same time, too much of them for either of them to shine. I get neither leather, tonka, spices nor vanilla. Just a sweet, sweet patchouli dipped in plum jam spiked with rum. It sounds good, doesn't it? It isn't and I don't know why.
To me, all Kayali fragrances are good in theory, but no matter how many times or how many of them I have tried, they disappoint every time. 

I tried it once more on skin and this is how it went: the spiked plum jam is richer and the patchouli gives off the burnt note, the fruitiness has gone and the scent is basically a sweet patchouli mess. VRSP tries very hard to be an oriental, but with my beloved Taj in my collection, it doesn't even come close.

One thing I do want to give Vanilla Royale credit for, is that the paper strip, even days later, smells just as potent as on the first day. On my desk, every time I sit down, I get whiffs of it and get confused, because the scent is strong, not unpleasant, but not good either.





Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig