Thursday 9 December 2021

Olympéa by Paco Rabanne

Photosource: Paco Rabanne


When it comes to classic fragrances, like Olympéa by Paco Rabanne for instance, I have learned to tread carefully. These fragrances have become classics or favourites for a reason, but my knowledge of fragrances is yet to be more evolved, especially in the realm of their history.

Olympéa was one of the fragrances that caught my eye when rummaging the perfume departments and the composition sparked my initial interest. After joining the fragrance community, I saw Olympéa reviewed and raved about by many, so I had to try it for myself.

~

What caught me off guard, was an initial opening note of licorice on my skin, a note that isn't on 'the menu' according to Fragrantica. However, on paper, Olympéa is a much lighter, sweeter and more neutral fragrance. The opening note on paper is actually very undetermined, it is neither citrus nor vanilla, but it is sweet and fresh.

~

Personally, Olympéa is a classic example of what separates niche fragrances from the more mainstream. From the experience I have gathered as of now, I find that niche fragrances have distinct, individual notes blended together yet still being definable in their own right, whereas mainstream fragrances are more blended, fused, and difficult to separate into specific notes. My nose is not yet trained enough to smell individual notes in fragrances like Olympéa, for instance, I do not smell vanilla per se, I rather smell something sweet. Rather than jasmine, the fragrance gives a slight impression of being floral.

~

On paper, the fragrance has a resemblance to the sweetness of bubble gum after dry down. It performs much more mature on my skin, where ambergris is quite dominant. 

Hours after oxidation, Olympéa is classic, elegant and sweet. Very suitable for any occasion. I understand the admiration of Olympéa, but for me it is far too simple. As far as I know, Paco Rabanne does not cater to a niche audience, so it's simplicity yet elegance is to please most noses.

~

Olympéa is a light floral amber to my nose, I do not get any ginger, mandarin, sandalwood or salt, which I would have loved to give it a fresher or sharper character. It is absolutely timeless and elegant, but to my knowledge it has also been reformulated? How does it compare to 'the old' Olympéa?

~

Olympéa is wonderful, on paper that is. It is fresher, cleaner and lighter. On my skin, it becomes quite generic. This fragrance is perfectly blended, it is nice, but it is not the type of fragrance I wear or would like in my collection.





Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig