Friday 24 December 2021

Baccarat Rouge 540 Eau de Parfum by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Photosource: Scent Studio (own copyright)



The anticipation to try Baccarat Rouge 540 has been long and intense. Reviews of this fragrance have seduced and promised an olfactory experience like no other.
Now that we are here, I am not disappointed. I am absolutely enamoured, mesmerised and in love with Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

~

Intense, but not overbearing; deep, yet not cloying; sweet, yet delicately so. BR540 is a smooth, soft and sensual fragrance.

It has an obvious note of saffron and a surprising fresh opening, but not quite like that of a citrus, but not like that of fir resin either, though it is one of the base notes. This fragrance is what I always wanted Santal Carmin from Atelier Cologne to be.

~

An hour in after oxidation, BR540 transforms into a more masculine fragrance on my skin giving it an edge full of character. The ambergris gives a sweet undertone without being too overpowering or animalic.
Six hours on my skin and BR540 has become more smokey, this fragrance is ever evolving and it only becomes more and more lovable over time.

That is after first wear...

~

I purchased a sample some time ago and just after one wear, I knew I had to have this fragrance in my collection. As soon as I had my own BR540 in hand, I wore it the same day. Creamy opening, smells like gold (for lack of better description) we were reunited. 

However, an hour passed and suddenly I could not smell it anymore. It didn't happen with the sample that I had that lasted on me all day.
I wore it once again some days later and the same happened, I could not smell my gold after just one hour. Fortunately, all my colleagues could, but what an absolute devastation! I read up on it and some do not get the same satisfaction from Baccarat Rouge 540 as others, because of ambroxan 'blindness'.

~

So let's talk. Is Baccarat Rouge 540 worth all the praise? If you have the money to blow, yes, if you don't, no. I might have been one of the latter. Baccarat is masterly blended, it is smooth, pleasant and gorgeous, but is it worth it's price tag? I honestly do not think so.
Being a novice in the world of fragrances, I was charmed into wanting BR540. If I found this fragrance on Fragrantica by chance and read about the composition, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but weeks into the fragrance community and my curiosity knew no bounds.
To me Baccarat represents my sincere interest in olfactory experiences and I feel some type of pride in having this fragrance in my collection. However, I would not spend so much on a perfume again any time soon. For the fraction of the price I could get a more exciting and unique fragrance with far better longevity. Is it BR540's fault that our chemistry doesn't work? No, but it's the last time I go with the stream and let stream take me away. After some thought, I sincerely do not have any regrets. Baccarat fits into my collection snuggly and I see it as a little price among my favourites. 
Before I go, an honorable mention is Santal Carmin and Memoirs of A Trespasser by Imaginary Authors as a perfect layering option to give Baccarat Rouge 540 an even richer base and a better longevity if you are anosmic to ambroxan like me.


Tonight, this holly Christmas Eve, I will be smelling like gold to the satisfaction of my dear family.

Merry Christmas everyone! <3

xo Julia




Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig