Wednesday 8 December 2021

Whispered Myths by Imaginary Authors

Photosource: Imaginary Authors

What a fragrance! Not at all what I expected. Imaginary Authors never cease to amaze me, but this time I don't know whether I'm in over my head.

~

Whispered Myths opens with a strong note of cantaloupe promising something sweet, but the fragrance is very resinous and leaves me speechless. This is a strong and oud heavy fragrance! I don't think it will please many Western noses, like my own, I think this might be too Middle Eastern for most. Oud is very appreciated in the East and the use of real, natural Cambodian oud in Whispered Myths might be too intimidating for some. This fragrance has me realising that my nose is not ready for real oud!

I am an avid and biased lover of the house of Imaginary Authors, but this one is simply too heavy for me. Though not completely unwearable like some reviewers say on Fragrantica, this is a very unique fragrance that won't please the masses, which in itself makes it thee fragrance for someone who can carry an oud like this.

~

After dry down, Whispered Myths changes into a more nautical fragrance on my skin hinting at the imagined note of a salvaged shipwreck. A slight note of salt, wet wood and ambrette is what this fragrances is made of.

~

It isn't even a case of the fragrance leaning too masculine, resinous heavy Whispered Myths is just too linear for me to be pleasant to wear. I need a slightly fresher element, maybe a sweet undertone or an herbal kick to lift it's character, because it almost becomes peppery by being so oud heavy. I don't know whether this is the correct term, but it is very monotone in its nature.

~

A couple of hours' wear leaves Whispered Myths unchanged on my skin. On paper, the fragrance is much lighter with a fresh note of not too sweet cantaloupe, a nice twist that I would have loved on my skin.
Though still loving Imaginary Authors to bits, Whispered Myths won't become a part of my collection anytime soon, but I am absolutely in awe of their use of real oud.





Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig