Tuesday 26 October 2021

Sticky Cake by Comme des Garcons

Photosource: Scent Studio (own copyright)

Let me preface by saying that I avoid fragrances in bottles that I find unappealing. I know, it is quite vain of me, but it gives me sore eyes to see them on my blog. I usually find beautiful photos of fragrances I have as samples and share them from other fragrance reviewers, but I could not find any of Sticky Cake and had to resort to a sample photo of my own.

I can spend all the time in the world to avoid them, but Lulua Perfumery is always too kind and sends me samples with my orders. In one of my older orders, a little sample of Sticky Cake by Commes de Garcons was sent to me. Just the name had me waiting until I found the mood to try it out.
I have been ill for a week and thought "if not now, then when?".

~

Sticky Cake is exactly what it implies; a sweet and gourmand fragrance. The opening is surprisingly not nauseating, but it is very sweet and in my opinion too sweet. Though I love vanilla, gourmand fragrances and do not shy away from sweet fragrances, Sticky Cake 'takes the cake' when it comes to reaching my limit. It is overpoweringly sweet, it lacks a contrasting hint of freshness from either citrus or green notes (at least in the top notes), but in all fairness, it is pleasant for what it is.

~

After some oxidation, I keep trying to identify a note, but I fail to do so. Is it burnt caramel, is it amber? It is in fact myrrh, but the fragrance is a mixture of all things sweet and it becomes difficult to identify any specific notes. 

Sticky Cake is dripping honey into a warm glass of milk. It is sweet and lactonic.

~

On paper, Sticky Cake is much lighter, but do not be fooled, it is still very sweet. I imagine that this would be the perfect gourmand base for layering fragrances. I do not imagine wearing this on its own.





Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig