Monday 7 March 2022

Radical Rose by Matiere Premiere

Photosource: Scent Studio (own copyright)



The thing with rose fragrances... I have been putting off trying the rose edition of the Matiere Premiere perfume, because I thought I would dislike it as I do any rose fragrance. I even contemplated trying it first, just to 'get it out the way', but
I didn't. However, because my experience with Matiere Premiere so far has been lukewarm, I needed something radical, something that would spark a bigger emotion than just nodding my head and thinking "it's good", even if that emotion was a bad one.

~

Radical Rose has a sour opening, like a natural rosewater face mist, but the fragrance surprisingly changes and blossoms on my skin revealing an unmistakable note of sweet cherry, which resembles that of Tom Ford's Lost Cherry.

A lingering note of something smokey, something powdery, pleasantly leads the fragrance making it nothing like a classic floral rose, along with the sweet cherry undertone, the fragrance seems more gourmand.

~

Radical Rose is such a surprise to me!
Even though I will still dislike rose fragrances, I have to say that this fragrance is my favourite from all of Matiere Premiere. It is unique, it develops on the skin and isn't as linear as all the other ones.

The opening sour note is absolutely terrible and the first time I tried this fragrance I thought I fell into rose hell. But that feeling was short lived, because what soon after was unveiled, was magic.

~

Close to the skin, Radical Rose has a leathery, labdanum or even sandalwood note. On paper, however, I would have avoided this fragrance at all costs. It is a pungent, classic rose, like that of cosmetics aimed towards mature skin. And the fragrance remains pungent for over an hour, only then does it reveal a sweeter, less harsh, note.

Though I would never add a rose to my collection, I have to say, that Radical Rose is the most memorable and likable fragrance from Matiere Premiere. With only two fragrances left to try, I think it will be difficult to top this out of the ordinary experience.

 




Share:

No comments

© Scent Studio | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig